Hey there, I’m Sarah Ong.
I work with moms and dads who just can’t figure out how to solve their baby’s sleep issues and are totally ready to make long term improvement to their family sleep.
I show and give them the tools to help their baby sleep peacefully through the night, while making them feel very reassured and supported during the process.
The approach I use in my sleep work is holistic where I take a look at the baby’s background history and their family’s dynamics and lifestyle. No two babies are the same so I consider very carefully each unique personality and life circumstances + experiences of each family I work with.
Typically, I work with mothers who have co-slept and nursed their baby on demand or rocked their baby to sleep from birth. They are perplexed when their baby continue to awaken and demands to nurse at night like a newborn, even though their baby has started on solid foods.
Some of these mothers see only two possible solutions:
- Night wean their baby using the cry-it-out approach (leaving baby to cry themselves to sleep);
- Or continue nursing and hope that their baby would grow out of it, but they become more resentful and frustrated
I offer a third solution that can help babies to sleep better without leaving them alone to cry-it-out. Crying in arms or loving presence of a parent meets the baby’s need for closeness and trust.
This approach helps babies feel reassured while learning to sleep in a new way and parent to attune to their baby’s real needs. At the same time, mothers can still continue to breastfeed their baby during the day and at certain fixed night feedings.
I’m passionate about the transformation a family experiences when they are all sleeping better.
Here Are A Number Of Things You Don’t Know About Me
When I’m not in consultation with my clients and working with families to support their baby sleep, I can be found running essential oils classes, baking or up to small home interior projects.
I’m Mama to three daughters aged 10, 7 and a baby who I delivered in late 2017.
My second one was a terrible sleeper who would wake 5-6 times in the night until she was 16 months old. I got it solved from reading a baby sleep e-book and she was my main inspiration to start my own sleep consulting business to support other families.
My 3rd baby girl is a wonderful sleeper. She is exclusively breastfed and starting at 3 months old, she falls asleep in her cot in our bedroom until the early mornings where I would bring her into our bed. It takes a lot of work and commitment to have a baby who sleeps well, but let’s just say I learned well from my past mistakes 😀
My husband works full time and he’s my number one supporter. He’s my best friend and my pillar of strength.
Many people are confused about my ethnicity. I’m a product of interracial marriage (Malay-Chinese) hence the Ong family name. I didn’t go to a Chinese school so I didn’t learn to speak or write in Chinese. My dad’s family speaks the northern Hokkien dialect so I kinda know a few words there. ?
I was brought up in a Malay-Muslim culture so I can speak Bahasa Melayu fairly well.
My family and I live in Subang Jaya. It’s where my husband and I grew up.
– to be the first certified child sleep coach in Malaysia.
– training and certification from International Maternity & Parenting Institute in California, USA.
– a membership to the Association of Professional Sleep Consultants, where I receive ongoing trainings and continued education.
– certification as a breastfeeding counsellor with Malaysian Breastfeeding Peer Counsellor
– training on Professionals Intensive: Supporting Families with Parenting by Connection course, with Hand In Hand Parenting organization
– mentoring with Marion Rose, Aware Parenting Instructor Level 2 on Aware Parenting Instructor Mentoring course, Australia.
– a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration – majored in Marketing, from Old Dominion University, Virginia, USA.
I have a special interest in the areas of playful parenting, Aware Parenting and the Hand in Hand approach.